The Second Chance Book Club: The Details

published on

Alternatively titled The Second Chance Book Club: The (Not-So-)Quick and Dirty. I just couldn't bring myself around on that one though.

If I can cry at my own party because I want to, I can be late to my own party, can I not? 

Kelly and I often lament the lack of reading that takes place in our own lives, especially since we spend our days teaching students to read and encouraging them to make reading a part of their daily lives. We also bemoan-- look at me busting out the thesaurus.com there-- the number of classic books we haven't read for ourselves... And we are supposed to be the experts of sorts!! It was out of these discussions, a general avoidance of responsibility via texting, and an overestimation of upcoming motivation and free time post-January 1 that led to the Second Chance Book Club being born.


K+K Entzel

As Kelly wrote, we "...would [like to] take the opportunity to read some books we may have missed during High School. If we were fortunate enough to read these books during High School, hopefully we will have a greater appreciation for them the SECOND time around." What will we be reading this year? Let's take a look!

January: Night by Elie Wiesel
*Questions-- Jan. 26
*Discussion-- Jan. 29 (and mine!)

February: The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
*Questions-- TBD
*Discussion-- Feb. 28

March: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
*Questions-- Mar. 20
*Discussion-- Mar. 28

April: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
*Questions-- Apr. 17
*Discussion-- Apr. 25

*Questions-- TBD
*Discussion-- May 30

June: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
*Questions-- June 19
*Discussion-- June 27

July: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
*Questions-- July 17
*Discussion-- July 25

August: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
*Questions-- TBD
*Discussion-- Aug. 29

September: A Separate Peace by John Knowles
*Questions-- TBD
*Discussion-- Sept. 26

October: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
*Questions-- Oct. 23
*Discussion-- Oct. 31

November: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
*Questions-- TBD
*Discussion-- Nov. 28

December: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
*Questions-- Dec. 18
*Discussion-- Dec. 26

I will be leading March's Wuthering Heights, April's The Things They Carried, June's Lord of the Flies, July's Their Eyes Were Watching God, October's Frankenstein, and December's A Christmas Carol. So, by process of elimination, Kelly has led January's Night (and my two cents!), and will lead February's The Glass Menagerie, May's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, August's The Handmaid's Tale, September's A Separate Peace, and November's The Catcher in the Rye.

Each month we will post a series of questions concerning the text we read. Feel free to answer all of the questions, some of the questions, none of the questions (although that would make it difficult to participate) and join us each month, as you have time, or for just the title(s) that catch your fancy. Take our button, add it to your post, and link up with the month's host. If you don't have a blog, just leave your responses in the comments. However, you really should start a blog... It's what the cool kids do. Example 1. Example 2.

Starting now with February's discussion, we have decided to kick back and have a virtual coffee shop meeting of sorts on the last Saturday of each month. When I imagine being part of a book club, I envision rolling out of bed on Saturday morning, throwing my hair on top of my head, putting on my coziest socially acceptable pants and a comfy top, and meeting up with some of my favorite ladies at a local coffee shop to talk about our book over our favorite drinks of choice. I'm looking forward to this little treat each month.

So on February 28, as Kelly said, "...Grab your coffee, tea, hot chocolate, iced tea, milk, orange juice and bagel..." and join us as we discuss Tennessee William's The Glass Menagerie. Personally, I will be kicking back with an iced Americano. I'm guessing Kelly was thinking you would grab only one or two of those drinks to have with your bagel, but all the more power to you if you go for all six. I hear a liquid diet is the way to go!  I welcome you back in two weeks for a virtual BYOB coffee date with the girls!

K+K Entzel

RELATED POSTS
KellyE said...

Gosh...it looks like you've got it covered! I'll send my readers over here later today so they can catch up with you too! :) Can't wait for this next discussion.

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer