25|| SMH and LOL... As Said by the American Teen

published on

Grab a guest post! Swap blogs with someone, and share about anything. :)

I am cheating a little bit today. Kelly asked me to guest post and am sharing the same post with my own readers because, honestly, I think this is too great to keep from anybody!

Both Kelly and I are English teachers, both of us work with high schoolers, and both of us have heard quite the funnies from our students.

As grown up as high school students try to be, they are still such kids at heart and leave Kelly and I in stitches at the end of the day. They also leave us in tears, both literal and hypothetical, at points as well, but the memories of the laughter are what bring us back after the particularly rough days.

I am in my fourth year of teaching so I, by no means, have everything figured out, but I do have a solid list of funny things my students have said “over the years.” (Have I even earned the right to say that?) I have also included some funny moments with the elementary kids I have coached because they were just too good to keep to myself. Clearly, nothing is off limits with kids. They tell it like they see it, which is both entertaining and frustrating.

Without further adieu, I share with you ten of the funniest moments in my teaching (and coaching) career.

10. Junior boy: Hey Miss McNary, when is the State B Boys' Basketball Tournament?
Me: Like March third through the fifth?
Boy: (To his study hall) Hey guys! It's March 34th and 35th!

9. A Very Shocked Freshman girl: (Reading her teacher-revised essay) Seriously? You're 
    telling me that a fetus and a feces aren't the same thing?!

8. Fifth grade girl: Ms. McNary... My sister (who I taught in English 10) and I googled you 
            last night.
    Me: Oh? What did you find?
    Student: You are on Pinterest.
    Me: Yes, that is true. Anything else?
    Student: No... You're really as boring as you say you are. But Google has pictures that 
            really are you!

7. A Very Enthusiastic Third Grader: Miss McNary... I really like your outfit today! It's 
    better than some other days. Did your mom pick it out? My mom always picks out my 
    best outfits!

6. Seventh grade basketball player: When I have the basketball, am I an offenser or a 
    defenser?

5. Freshman girl, now Valedictorian candidate: Miss Aubrey! I can't find the antecedent 
    for my verb!

4. (With a 4th grade basketball player)
    Her: Coach, did you know my sister (who I taught in English 9) got a new boyfriend?
    Me: How nifty! Do you like him?
    Her: Yeah, I like him a lot better than her last boyfriend.
    Me: Oh?
    Her: Yeah, her old one bit her neck all of the time. I don't know why she'd want a 
          boyfriend who 
did that. I mean, that's not even fun to get bitten. My sister says 
          that's just what you do when you get a boyfriend in high school.
    Me: Uhh... Umm... They should play video games or read a book instead.

3. Student: The clothing was cucumbersome and heavy.
    Me: Uh... You mean "cumbersome"?
    Student: (Turns incredibly red and puts his head down on his desk) I can't believe I just 
          said that!

2. Student: Is Mark Twain Shania Twain's husband?
    Me: Yes, of course.
    Student: Huh... And I was just being funny. I really am smart!

1. Student 1: Miss McNary, is today Fat Tuesday or Super Tuesday? 

    Student 2: Today is Taco Tuesday and that's all that matters! 
(It was Super Tuesday.)

Bonus! Junior boy: Ms. Aubrey, your Thai accent isn't very good and your Mandarin    
          accent isn't very good either.
Me: Yeah... Those weren't really skills necessary to thrive in North Dakota.

I have quickly learned kids are kids... Be they in Thailand or the States. I count it one of my greatest blessing that God has given me this season to work with the youth of this world. 

May your day be blessed. :)



Brave Love Blog

RELATED POSTS
KellyE said...

LOVE it! Thank you for guest posting!

KellyE said...

I still just love this post every time I read it. :) Hope your week away was relaxing!

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer