I'm Here!

published on

I have made it to Bangkok and am working on getting settled in. The internet service hasn't been the greatest the last couple of days and I don't have a wireless router set up yet, so I'm a little limited on my technology. I would say I'm about 95% unpacked and 80% put away. This is my first time "setting up house" per se so I'm still trying to figure out a system. As it stands, I still have most of my toiletries in the kitchen and I have sporting goods in the living room, but I don't plan for things to stay like that for long.

Amy took a large group of us first year teachers shopping today at Magna Bangna. I bought a cell phone and sim card as well as some other pretty exciting things like clothes hangers, Scotch tape, scissors, and some other household essentials. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I need so I held off on buying much. Plus, returns in Thailand are not at all like the States, so I really want to make sure I have a place and a necessity for something before I spend money on it. First things first, though... I really couldn't handle my clothes hangers not matching. Uffda. 

I'm going to spend tomorrow between my apartment and school. I need to go over to the school in the morning and turn in my paperwork. I have also been told to talk to the IT department about obtaining my school computer and taking care of other related business. Amy and I are meeting for lunch and then I am going to spend the afternoon and evening trying to get a routine established. I need to dig through emails and forward school-related messages to my new school account, figure out a reading plan for the semester, map out my remaining class for my speech endorsement, get my Franklin running again (please don't tell my dad I fell behind!), buy minutes for my Thai phone, and figure out where the garbage can is so I can empty my trash! I know I could ask somebody where to empty my garbage can, but I vaguely remember reading about it in my welcome packet and I've been asking so many questions already, I figure it's high time I do something on my own. #Bigkidprobz #Can'tlivewiththeparentsforever #Iknowwheretotakethetrashathome

Jet lag has not been bad at all yet. I think I got a good start after my first all-nighter (I'm not ready to talk about it yet...) and although I definitely feel a lack of sleep today, it's not anything out of the ordinary. I learned two new Thai words today, so my total vocabulary stands at five words. Khao pan gai (think "cow pan guy") is chicken fried rice. I ordered dinner all by myself tonight and paid for it too. Either the price went up from what Amy remembered or the lady scammed me out of 5B, but I'm not shedding tears over 15 cents. The 40B ($1.23) spent for dinner was worth every Baht.

My goal is to stay up until 8 p.m. tonight, so I have another 90-ish minutes. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get my wireless internet set up and then I can move my pictures off my phone and to my computer! Until then, know that I am well, I am working to get rehydrated, and I'm still needing to learn the Thai word for bathroom!
RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer