13||Tis the Season As They Say

published on

Create a collage or inspiration/mood board for this season in your life.

mine/via/mine
I am living overseas, but life cannot stop until life goes "back to normal." 

I am not a teacher at an elite college prep high school, but I find my identity in so much more than my profession. 

I start graduate classes again in two days, but I am more than a graduate student.

I am a single, almost 30 Christian gal, but I refuse to be defined by my relationship status or my age.

In so many ways, my life has completely changed since moving to Thailand, but in so many ways, it is entirely the same. I don't have to work too hard to maintain an American lifestyle here in Asia and I find myself guilty of such all too often. I still feel like I am trying to figure out what it means to be a grown up, I still act like a kid much of the time, I still have my faith, I still have a job, and I don't anticipate any major events for awhile, so what, then, is my season of life?

I really don't mean to be difficult... I just find myself truly questioning what my current season is. I am in Thailand until something else comes along and, until then, I suppose I am in the most stable season of life I have been in for awhile. So, regardless of what this season may or may not be, I share three of my biggest focuses in life right now.

First, growing relationship with Christ. I am in a completely different place in life and faith and understanding than I ever anticipated for myself, even more so in the last ten months. I am a Christian in a predominantly non-Christian nation and I am literally equipping the next generation of world changers. I feel such a burden for my students, their families, this nation, our broken world. How do I continue to live out my faith in a way that glorifies God and makes Him known outside of the direction faith instruction so many of my students shirk?

Second, learning to live life. I am a perpetual planner. I enjoy lists and calendars and plans but I am learning to embrace change and spontaneity (ahem, moving to Thailand?!). Sometimes embracing life means just the little things at a moment in time but sometimes it means the big things. A student wants to meet for lunch on my busiest day of the week? Yes, because this may be the moment she really needs somebody to give her the time. Take a night bus to see a new Thai site? Let's do it! Stay in Thailand a possible five years to set myself up for financial success post-30? Five years may seem like a lot now, but as soon as my debt is eliminated, I know I will be grateful. Sometimes it's the big things and sometimes it's the little. But if not now, then when?

Finally, blooming where planted. I had a blog before this one and I called it "Bloom Where Planted." I have always struggled with living life where I am for the moment. I was ready to move to college at 16, ready to be done with college at 20, and ready to retire at 24. Well, not really retire, but the first four years of teaching where so tough. Additionally, the older I get, the more I come to understand just how broken, ugly, and painful the world is. I am ready for my heavenly home. But until that day comes, I will do my best to bloom where God has planted me much like that poppy made its home at the base of my parents' driveway in the sea of concrete.

All that to say, I don't really know what season of life I am in, but I'm going with what I have and making the most of what has been placed before me.

Soli deo Gloria.


Brave Love Blog


RELATED POSTS
pamtheamericandogrunner said...

ok, Wow! Thailand, would you like to guest blog on my page on the 23rd, you can talk about your experiences in Thailand or Scout out a new place, person, thing there.......maybe Scout out a Durian tree or something and talk about it, maybe do a blog tasting it....if you've never had one before or even if you have, etc....My dog Scout has his own blog where he Scouts out new people, places, things and other animals.....maybe you can guest blog there....check out my site if you wish!

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer