8||Describe Your Favorite Season.

published on

Tell us about your favorite season. Why is it your favorite and what does it say about you?

The English teacher in me doesn't know what to think of today's prompt. It's the kind of prompt students love to hate because it is just vague enough to allow for creativity and teenagers these days don't always seem to embrace thinking for themselves... Ha!


I'm going to go with a literal season here and say that my favorite season is fall. 

What does it say about me? 

As a teacher, I embrace the fresh start a new school year brings. I know the new year technically begins in January, but, in many ways, I feel like August brings a fresher start than a new calendar year does. 

As an American, I really enjoy football, Thanksgiving, football, cooler temperatures, chili, football, hooded sweatshirts, chili, boots, football, plaid shirts, chili, jeans, football, and scarves. 

I really grew to enjoy football during college. I would sit happily and watch an entire day's worth of games while doing my homework on Saturday and Sunday. I enjoy the tradition of Friday night football at school (Friday night soccer in Thailand just doesn't quite do it for me...) and Thanksgiving football at home.

I also really like chili. In my humble opinion, my mom makes some of the best chili I have ever had and I *think* I may have mastered her recipe last month. I need one more trial run before I'm ready to go public with it, though. I got my love of chili from my dad and I think he and I will both happily eat it once per week if mom will make it. I have made chili multiple times since coming to Thailand, regardless of the tropical temps.

I don't know why, but I love Thanksgiving. In high school, it was always a welcome break towards the end of the fall semester. And it meant the beginning of basketball season which is always a win in my book. I love the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and diligently set my alarm each year. As I watch, my mom makes me the best chocolate chip muffins and I watch intently as my inner 8 year old has never died when it comes to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

And, really, can anybody deny the comfort that is fall clothing. We already know I'm all about comfort and class, and I feel like the fall season is the epitome of both. It's not so cold that we have to wear layer upon layer upon layer upon layer to prevent freezing to death but it's cool enough that we can comfortably wear the clothing that is just too warm for the summer months. I have a pair of boots that I love with all my superficial fashion heart; a hooded sweatshirt collection I've spent years perfecting; a selection of jeans that showcase Old Navy over the last 8 years; and a long sleeved flannel shirt that makes every September, October, and November day a possible delight for my arms.

(via)
Fall is one of the things I miss the most about living in Thailand. As my Thai tutor said, Thailand's seasons are like this: hot, brutally hot, humid and rainy, and cool for two days. I'm looking forward to living in a place with fall once more some day, but these days are not those yet. Until then, I'll keep watching football highlights on the internet, managing my fantasy team, eating chili, and longing for the day I can wear my boots again!

Clearly my problems in life are few if I can be as dramatic as I am about fall and clothing. Thank you, Jesus!


Brave Love Blog
RELATED POSTS
Anonymous said...

Yes!! We work with students so we still work on the school calendar and the Fall is our new start and the kickoff of our year. Totally relate.

I completely forgot to mention football but you're right it's probably a huge reason why Fall feels so good to me.

Unknown said...

I love when football season starts too. It's one of the only sports that I can handle watching on TV!

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer