A First Week's Ramble

published on

I feel pretty ridiculous saying that I have just moved halfway across the world and I have nothing to write about. 

I suppose I could give you a rundown of how I can't sleep past 4:45 in the morning, how we started inservice today, how I signed my name about ten different times on documents all written in another language that I was told would result in my own bank account but I really don't know, how I still don't have wireless internet in my apartment which is really killing my productivity, or how I have had "Mr. Aubrey" written on documents for me and I've noticed my name is the only one ever transcribed to Thai, but I feel like that would be pretty boring to read. (Trust me, it would be. I already wrote that post once.) 

I suppose I could also tell you how I managed to delete my shopping list I had been developing the last week or how I'm pretty sure my dinner last night was just goulash with rice noodles instead of macaroni or how the cab driver took the LONGEST possible route back from the mall today which resulted in a fare double the amount it should have been, but that just shows that using Spanish in response to Thai questions won't get you anywhere in life. On another note, I really need to develop my Thai accent here soon. 

I think it's because I've only been here a week, but I don't feel like I've had to go through a big adjustment. I'm sure it helps I saw the basics of my surroundings last summer, but I kinda feel like it's just business as usual right now. In all honesty, I've been pretty secluded this last week. I still don't know enough Thai to do me any good (thus the doubled cab fares), so I haven't ventured out all that much on my own. My days are pretty much spent at school, the mall, or at home. 

I've been feeling a little guilty about this, but not too much yet. I figure this is my own way of settling in. More than once I have wished I could just drive to the ballpark and kick back for the evening, but I know I can't. Other than that, I haven't felt too much of an adjustment. I'm sure I will be singing a different tune in two weeks when I realize I am not going home any time soon.

Today we spent the afternoons working in our classrooms and I realized that school will be starting in two weeks. I'm not sure I'm ready for it, but I don't have a choice. I also realized how much I need to get myself into a routine with my days. My thesis and COMM class are not going to complete themselves. Since I now get up at the crack of dawn (which has never been the case for me... EVER!), I need to learn to be productive in the mornings so I have free time in the evenings to spend with people. I need to be productive in my days, yes, but I also need to allow myself to experience this adventure I'm on. Balance is not my forte, so this upcoming year will be a learning experience in more than one way!

RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer