Second Chance Book Club, March: Wuthering Heights-- Emily Bronte

published on

I have been so excited to share one of my favorite books ever with you! I was pretty adamant with Kelly that I wanted to make this book one of our book club reads this year. I suppose I am technically cheating because I read this novel in high school (as a replacement for 1984, I believe, which I had read already when it was assigned to the class... #Nerd) but I have such fond memories of this month's novel. I read it spring of my senior year in high school and I remember completely laying out on my parents' couch and being entirely oblivious to anything else going on. I remember walking away from Bronte's story and smiling, just being grateful for having gotten lost in her words as I had. 

I hope you liked the story as well. It's a little bit of a monster which I honestly didn't remember because I flew through it the first time. But, again, I enjoyed losing myself in the characters and their lives. And I always love an English setting-- I really should get myself to England someday. It is one of my favorite places to ever get lost in through a book. I should just go get lost there in real life for awhile.

With all that said, I bring to you this month's read:

(via)

1. Did you like the book? Was it what you were expecting or hoping for? Why or why        
    not? I spilled the vast majority of my guts above, but I am always intrigued as to why I 
    love this book as much as I do when it really isn't anything like I expected. I think I am       pulled into the dark tone, the struggles of the characters, and their complex        
    relationships. I think Bronte does such a great job of creating a complexly layered   
    story to hold the reader in, but it is not so dense that the reader gives up. I don't know 
    what it is, but I enjoy this book so. very. much.

2. Love and revenge are the two main themes of the novel. Can love and revenge co-exist     or is one one influenced by the other? Ah, I don't think I am a very nice person for 
    asking this question, but I am choosing to do so any way. This a very English teacher-y 
    question, no? In short, I believe love and revenge can both co-exist as well as be 
    influenced by each other. Take a look at Catherine and Heathcliff-- I believe theirs  
    was a true love, even though neither really knew what to do with his or her feelings. 
    In turn, Heathcliff found himself seeking revenge because of his love for Catherine, 
    albeit a not entirely justified revenge. I can think of times in my own life when I have 
    truly loved somebody and desired only the best for them, but then I have also had 
    feelings of revenge, either towards that same person because of my overload of 
    emotion, or because another person has become a threat to my love. Human emotion 
    is such a powerful substance... I am marveled at God's creation of it all.

3. "...He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are          the same..." Arguably the most famous quote of the novel (and just beautifully                written to boot, I'm swooning a little bit inside and I know I'm not the only one. 
       What do you think made Wuthering Heights a classic? Was it the plot, the 
       characters, the language? What was it? Just see my responses above. And I am still 
       swooning at that line. If any guy ever uses it on me, I will probably melt right there 
       and just be his forever. Le sigh.

K+K Entzel





RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer