How I Dropped the Ball (By the Numbers).

published on

Graduate school is almost done.

The thesis is as finished as it is ever going to be.

I finally defend this Thursday.

I have no other excuses.

I am fully aware that other people are able to juggle full time work, graduate school, blogging, and many other commitments while not dropping the ball on any single thing, but I am not one of those people.

In fact, for some fun, let us count the balls that dropped this spring. In no particular order:

1. Apartment cleanliness. My place was beyond a pit. I could hardly stand to be in there myself. So one day I cried for a little bit, moved everything that was on the floor out to the patio (which was most everything I owned), used almost an entire gallon of vinegar to scrub every surface in sight, moved all of the items from my patio to their proper places, and found it tolerable once again.

2. Non-stress induced cooking. I am so grateful that eating out is so cheap in Thailand. My friends did benefit from my need to blow off some steam from time to time, but overall I existed on a steady diet of som tam and fried chicken, Starbucks iced Americanos, more Subway and McDonald's than I'll ever admit (thank you, comfort-ish food), and the school chicken and potato special of the day.

3. Any sort of a laundry routine. It was crash and burn "college" loads all semester long.

4. Human interaction with anybody who wasn't willing to spend time at a coffee shop while I didn't really pay attention to them or talk to them. If you were content to sit in my presence and absorb my existence then I could spend time with you. Otherwise, my human interaction consisted with people who put their words on a page that I underlined, copied, and quoted to my academic advantage and my own heart's content but still don't have any idea that I exist.

6. Personal organization beyond my fancy three drawer system of "Frequently Used," "Business-y," and "Can't Be Lost but Doesn't Have a Real Purpose Right Now." Even Franklin bit the dust hard which was a complete shame because then I lost control of everything else. See #1, #3, and #8. Prolly #7 too.

7. Apparently I also dropped the number 5. I teach English and study reading education. No comment. 

8. Blogging. I used up my word quota teaching and writing. And revising. And revising again. And then revising some more because I'd had a twelve hour break from my previous revisions.

9. Grey's Anatomy. I completely recognize the ridiculousness of this habit, but it's been a 9 year investment for me. Also, see #4. I plan to binge watch before the school year starts. But don't worry... I already know the huge spoiler.

10. Updating my computer. I have not had an internet connection at my apartment since October 2014 and my other reliable connection bit the dust, so I was stuck on the school network which does not let me update my personal computer. Then I kept putting off updates since I've been home because I was preoccupied. Last Thursday (aka July 2), my computer finally got to the point where it refused to function until I updated it. So, two and a half hours later, I had a new OS and at least 9 other "critical" updates installed and my computer is functioning again. And at a speed that has me no longer wanting to pull my hair out.

I am finding myself not really knowing what to do with myself and all of my newfound free time. I should start gearing up for the new school year, but I need a little more time to decompress before I move that direction.

So until then, I sit and ponder. And take in this current Twins series versus Baltimore. And look forward to Thursday.


K+K Entzel
RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer