7||What's in a Name?

published on

Tell us about your blog name. Where did it come from?

Today is a re-post from about a year and a half ago, but I still stand by what I wrote that day. I did update a couple of links this time, though. I intentionally chose "Be.Do.Say.Go." when I named my blog and I still stand by that choice. My blog name is very special to me (cue the sap, I know) and I am proud to share its origins once again! So, without further ado...

"Be. Do. Say. Go."

It's on the cover of my Bible. I started using this Bible eight summers ago after I received it at the Challenge '06 conference at Purdue. The title of the conference was "Beyond" and the tagline was "Be. Do. Say. Go." I have a ton of notes from that conference, but there is one thing that I really carry with my in my mind. It was a single comment made by Francis Chan about some t-shirts they were selling in the bookstore. The shirts were normal cotton tees, but they had only one word on the front: do

There were shirts also that each read "be," "say," and "go," but he commented specifically on the truth in the shirt which read "do." He talked about how we can "be" something without anybody else knowing, we can "say" something without anybody caring, and we can "go" anywhere we want, but those pieces of life can be nothing if we do not "do" anything. 



The best way to show the world you care is to "do" something.

am a Christian.

do my life for God.
say to share the love of Christ.
go where God leads me.

Be. Do. Say. Go. 


I want this to be my life's motto.


"Therefore go (go) and make (do) disciples of all nations, baptizing (do) them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching (say) them to obey everything I have commanded you (be)."  Matthew 28:19-20


I see the "Be. Do. Say. Go." principle right in the Bible, in words commanded spoken by Christ. I think that makes them legitimate words by which to live.


Please hold me accountable, but provide me grace. I am a sinful human, but I desire to serve God in all that I do. I want to live the words of Matthew 5:13-16:


"You are (be) the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are (be) the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives (do) light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine (do) before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."


It is an inward choice, a decision, that leads to an outward influence of those around me. I must be the salt, be the light.


Be. Do. Say. Go.




Brave Love Blog
RELATED POSTS
Unknown said...

You go girl. This is a great way to name a blog! I love when there is a personal story behind the name. :) Makes it so much more meaningful!

Kylee Morris said...

This is great! I love Francis Chan! I love thw meaning and how important your blog name it! I look forward to reading more about what God is doing.

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer