10 Minutes with God

published on

The following is an email I sent out for the college ministry I led for a couple of years. Clearly it has been sitting in my drafts folder for awhile. Nevertheless, its truth is still relevant.

My "quiet time" has been severly lacking as of late. In complete honesty, it is a habit I have yet to really establish in my life. I chose to make yesterday, the first day of the month, yet another fresh start in my life. Crazy Love is not my current text of choice, but it is still in my hypothetical top 10 list.

God is not in the business of perfection-- He is in the business of redemption and renewal. 

Because the first of the month brings with it a sense of renewal and change, I challenge you to look at your quiet time with God.  I had somebody challenge me a couple of weeks ago to designate 10 minutes per day with nothing on my moment's to-do list except to spend time with God.  I didn't know how much difference 10 minutes would make in my day, but I was definitely mistaken- I enjoy my time of spiritual calm and have found myself juggling my schedule in attempt to fit another 10 minutes in.  I'm reading through Francis Chan's "Crazy Love" right now.  If you are looking for something to get started, I have enjoyed that book.  Another easy thing to do, and it takes less than 10 minutes, is to read one chapter of the book of John each day during the month.  The "experts" say it takes 21 days to create a positive habit and with 21 chapters in the book of John, you're looking at a pretty sweet deal for yourself. 

Really, the principle of the matter lies in the fact you are choosing to make time with God.  It doesn't matter what book you read, whether it is a devotional or the Bible or some other Christian text, or if you pray, or if you journal, or if you do something entirely different.  The principle of the matter is that you are spending time with God.  He desires to commune with you in the same way you do with Him.  The Bible says in James 4 that if you draw near to God, He will draw near to you.  God will meet you where you are at.


RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer