A Little Farther East Than I Anticipated

published on

I ended 2013 talking about new changes that would be ahead. At the time I definitely knew some of what I would be experiencing but I definitely didn't know all of it. I had an inkling last fall that I would not be returning to my teaching job but I had no idea what I would do instead. In typical fashion, I made the very safe, practical decision to live with my sister for a year while subbing, reffing, and writing my thesis.

I should have known better.

Every time I have planned to take a "rebuilding" year in my life, God turns everything upside down and I end up doing something that is the complete opposite of what I had in mind. (The semester I ended up moving home was the semester I was going to just live and work in Grand Forks and just chill. Instead I ended up moving home... The last place I ever wanted to be.) As such, I will not be living with my sister next year as I originally anticipated. 

Instead, I will be moving to Bangkok, Thailand. Instead of moving a mere five hours east, I will be moving multiple countries and an ocean to the west.

Not exactly what I had planned, but I should know by now that my plans rarely work out.

I have accepted a job teaching three sections of AP Language & Composition and two sections of World Literature at a smaller international school in Bangkok. My initial contract will be for two years. I really have no idea what teaching AP Language and Composition entails, but I am willing to learn. Instead of trying to figure out how to write a thesis whilst working 55 hours per week stateside, I will be writing a thesis whilst juggling a brand new courseload and living overseas.

I really not scared at all about living overseas... I already got a taste of it when I visited Amy last summer. I've seen the school, met the administration and such, so I have a pretty good idea of what I will be experiencing. I'm going from a school of 60 and a town of 21,000 to a school of 800 and a city of 11,000,000. But I'm ready for an adventure. If not now, when?

I fly out on July 15, report for New Teacher Orientation on July 19, and begin classes on August 5.

The "Be.Do.Say.Go." saga continues. I have been and did and said and went where God has asked me to these last three years. Now He has granted me the opportunity to be and do and say and go in a new place. 

May His name be glorified!
RELATED POSTS

Popular Posts

Second Big Footer